Thursday, March 14, 2013

Delicate Arch

It's Spring Break! Last week we decided to go camping and so yesterday (March 13th) we decided to set off. It was kind of a stressful trip because we didn't really plan ahead and Rusty worked until 4:00 pm. Once he got off we got a few things packed and then headed down to his dad's house, who prepared us for almost all of our trip. We didn't leave from his house until about 7:30 pm. At this point, I was really anxious because we did't even make a campsite reservation, it's going to be packed for spring break, and to top it off, Arches National Park is very popular around this time of year (and did I mention that we left super late!)! It was a 4 hour drive from our house, but we finally got there at 10:30 pm. When we got there the campsite sign said it was full! Of course! So by now, I am really worried that we are going to end up sleeping in the car and am mentally preparing our fate, noting the mistake we had made. Rusty decided that we should say a prayer to be able to get a campsite. So he did. We ended up driving around, but were able to find a spot. But what do you know... It was reserved. But by who? We'll never know, but whoever it was has the initials G.O.D....
 Our small little campsite! By the way, the people who reserved the campsite never did show up, even in the morning. Don't know how we got so lucky...
 Morning sunrise from our campsite.
 Also a morning s'more to start off the day!
 This was the main reason for the trip. We went on a hike to Delicate Arch! The world's most known arch. 

I really wanted to see Rusty scale this cut out in the rock. He literally climbed it in less than 2 minutes. The guy would be a perfect mountain goat.
 Almost to the top!
 I was scared by how narrow the ledge was becoming.
 We made it! 
 We had to sit at the top for probably about a half hour because I was really scared to go out on the ledge to Delicate Arch. It looked really steep, but it really wasn't bad once you got out there. I was glad that we had waited a little bit, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to meet this little chipmunk! There was two of them and they were so sweet! I think that they were used to people feeding them because they came right up to me and Rusty.

 Finally got the guts to go out there (after I saw a mom with her children sitting in a safe area, I realized that I need to get out there while I am still young with no children! Not to mention we saw a 60 year old lady out under the arch... If she could do it- I could do it!)

We climbed up a ledge (pic above) to Small Delicate Arch and found a little place to sit and take pictures. This was my favorite area that we went to. We were high up and could see almost everything!

 'Love' carved into the wall.
 Also, some petroglyphs. Yea...

Overall, we had a really fun trip. I am really glad that we didn't end up throwing each other off the side of the rock :).

No comments:

Post a Comment